Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
**4. 75 STARS**

Wow, this was a really great book. Honestly, when I read the description on the back it didn’t sound like something I’d normally pick up, but everyone was telling me to read it, and authors that I greatly respect were also giving it tons of praise. So I said, “What the heck? Why not give it a chance?” And I’ll tell you what, I am so glad that I did.

I found the The Hunger Games to be excellently plotted and perfectly paced, and for some reason, Collins writing was strangely addicting [I stayed up late reading this one ;)]. You’d think that the crazy concept of kids fighting to the death on live TV might be in danger of becoming extremely unrealistic, but surprisingly the story felt very real, like it was actually something that could happen in the distant future. The emotions, the fight for survival, and the strategic tactics during the games also seemed authentic, like that is exactly how it would have taken place if it were real.

I must say, as feisty as Katniss can get, I have to admire her. If I had been selected to play in the Hunger Games, I’d be so terrified I’d probably get killed two minutes in. Even though Katniss does become afraid from time to time, she is strong and smart, willing to do what it takes to make it home to her family alive.

Peeta is great too. I absolutely loved the blossoming romance between him and Katniss, and even though I know she was just trying to play her part as the tragic “star-crossed” lover, I knew deep down that not all of her feelings could be fabricated. I can’t wait to see what happens between them in the next book…and poor Gale, what must he think of all this?

Overall: The Hunger Games was a very enjoyable read, and I look forward to finding out what happens in the sequels!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment