Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Review: Abandon by Meg Cabot
**4.75 STARS**

"HOLY. CRAP."

Those are literally the words that came out of my mouth after reading just the first page of this book.

I mean WOW, what another amazing book by Meg Cabot! (She seems to write non-stop, doesnt she? Haha).

Abandon, to give you a brief summary, is the re-imagined tale of Hades and Persephone, starring main character Pierce Oliviera. She knows what it's like to die, because she's done it once before. But now death wants her back.

The Main Things I liked:

Pierce: I've been so fed up lately with protagonists who are all fluff and no personality. Thankfully, that is NOT the case with Pierce. She's got realistic issues and emotions like every teenager does, and I found myself caring about her and hoping that she would be ok. This is a major plus on Cabot's part. It is important for an author to get their audience to care about their characters, because if we don't give a crap about what happens to them, then there's really no point in reading the book, now is there?

John: Heeeeeheeeeheeee :3
Oh, how could I not like him?? For all of you girls out there who like the bad boy characters, I'm pretty sure after you read Abandon, John will be added to your list of hot fictional guys you wish were your boyfriend. He's tall. He's dark. He's dangerously sexy....

Oh, uhhh, excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard.

The Mythology: I'm a sucker for anything involving Mythology, so I was instantly drawn to this book from the day I got it. I also love re-tellings, so I had a feeling this one was going to be a winner.

As far as what I didn't like goes, I only wish there was a bit more fantasy in it, and of course, MORE JOHN! He kept dissapearing when I was aching for more of him! Also, this book deals with a lot of heavy subjects, so don't be thinking this book is some sort of fluffy piece of cream pie you can eat while sunning on the porch deck. It's not, it's much deeper than that.

Overall, I found it to be a well written, enjoyable read. I can't wait for book 2, Underworld.

1 comment:

  1. I really want to read this book the concept sounds great and the cover is gorgeous, great review, I'm a new follower

    www.headstuckinabook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete