Sunday, December 11, 2011

Book Review: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
** 5 STARS **


Wow. I mean...WOW. This book...I'm just...I'm speechless. It was breathtaking.

Words cannot even describe just how amazing this book is. The writing, for one, is absolutely beautiful, there is such skill and rich description in Creagh's words that you can picture every image perfectly, almost to the point where you want to read some sentences over again, to savor them.

The plot was very well developed, it's obvious that everything was carefully thought out, which lends to it's success as a novel. And though it is a long book (hardcover-543 pages), it is addicting and well worth the time. There is a lot of mystery and uncertainty as Isobel is thrust into an unfamiliar world and is unsure of what is real and what is not. It's almost teasing in a way, because little things are revealed slowly, some only being partial answers, which mostly lead to more questions. The fun part about this though is that, as the reader, you are also taken on the journey, trying to figure everything out alongside Isobel, always yearning for more, always wondering "Just what the heck is going on???"

Such an interesting cast of vastly diverse characters, too. I really liked Isobel, and I loved Varen, he is just so...fascinating. Definitely a highly unforgettable character. I was proud of myself because, at about page 65, I realized that if you re-arrange the letters of Varen's name, they can also spell out "Raven." When you read the book, you will know the significance. I was like NO WAY, CREAGH PULLED A LORD VOLDIE!!! (In the Harry Potter Series, the name Tom Marvolo Riddle, when rearranged, spells "I Am Lord Voldemort.")

As far as the characters from "The Crew," I didn't really like any of them, but that was by design. And some people might say that the crew are just another annoying character cliche, but really, it's actually very realistic. I've been to a school where people are divided by their social hubs (geeks/goths/cheerleaders/populars/etc.), so I don't think it's really that big of a deal if you see it in a book or movie (UNLESS, of course, they completely over-dramatize it). It's not cliche, it's life!

I especially enjoyed Gwen, her quirkiness always made me laugh. What other character do you know that says goofy stuff like "Why the snap-crackle-pop?" "Holy Granola," and "Oh my cheese and chracters!" She's not your typical girl: She's got funky style, a funny, sarcastic nature, and doesn't give a toasted bagel about what other people think of her.

The villian(s) (I wont name names) are also interesting and very imaginative. They only made me become more engrossed.

Anyway, I loved, loved, loved Nevermore, it's so clever and I love how Creagh wove Edgar Allen Poe so seamlessly into the story. Excellent, truly excellent. I urge you to go read it RIGHT NOW! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment